Asian Fusion Beef Burritos
this was probably the best meal that I have ever made! However, there needs to be a disclaimer because it was fairly high in sodium so it is not necessarily the healthiest choice for some….
- lean beef (at least 92% lean)
- 4 -whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups cooked red quinoa (if raw, cook with low sodium vegetable or chicken broth instead of water)
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 cup crushed peanuts for garnish
- hoisen sauce (1/2 cup?)
For the Salsa:
- 1 fresh peach, chopped into small chunks
- 1/3 jalapeño, diced
- juice from 1 lime
- 1/8 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
1. Prepare the salsa – spray grill pan with cooking spray and cook peach halves for about 2-3 minutes. Remove peaches from the heat, place in bowl, and add remaining salsa ingredients. Mix and set aside.
2. Cook quinoa according to directions. Replace water with vegetable broth (preferably cook in rice cooker).
3. Slice onions and sauté in small amount of butter (1/2 tablespoon) for 3 minutes. (See direction 4 here to start simultaneously). Add the brown sugar, and stir until dissolved. Continue to simmer.
4. Meanwhile, cook the beef in a separate pan (with no oil or base). Gradually add most (but not all) of the hoisen sauce to the beef. Cook until browned and cooked through.
5. Place a tortilla on cutting board, add 1/4 cup of cooked quinoa, beef, and caramelized onions. Roll and tuck ends in, burrito style. Place on cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Brush tops and sides of burritos with hoisin sauce. Broil for 1 minute. Garnish with crushed peanuts and salsa.