Cheese Tortellini with Goat Cheese Chicken
When I asked David what I should call this recipe he said ‘once in a blue moon’ because as delicious as it was, he knew I probably wouldn’t make it for awhile since it turned out to be a lot less healthy than I intended! That being said, it was MIGHTY delicious – I think he moaned through the whole meal 🙂
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 9 oz whole wheat cheese tortellini (I would do more pasta than this if there is a larger package, but still great this way!)
- 1 bundle asparagus, chopped into 1 inch sections
- 8oz package of baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 oz goat cheese (I used a Tomato Basil flavored goat cheese – not sure if we could even taste the flavoring….)
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespooons flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Ground pepper, to taste
- I didn’t add these, but I think it would have made it even more delicious: cherry tomatoes and red pepper flakes!
This one definitely requires the use of all burners/stovetops! In one pan, cook the chicken separately (using 1 teaspoon olive oil to ‘grease’ the pan). At the same time, put the other teaspoon of olive oil in another pan and add the mushrooms and asparagus. As the chicken starts to lightly brown,remove the chicken from the heat and set aside. At this time, add the garlic and onion to the mushroom and asparagus mixture (if you plan to use cherry tomatoes, halve them and add them here).
Start cooking the pasta in another pot. In a final pan, add the butter. Once the butter is melting, add the flour and quickly whisk to combine. Add 1 cup of the pasta water to the flour/butter mixture and continue whisking. Then add the goat cheese, parmesan cheese, and a decent amount of ground pepper, and continue to whisk until the concoction thickens and is consistent throughout (if you plan to add red pepper flakes, add them here). Reduce the heat to low until the pasta is ready. Drain the pasta and combine all ingredients in a bowl, then top with the sauce. Serve with pepper and parmesan cheese on top!