Homemade Sloppy Joe’s? Really?! YES!
David said this meal was in his top ten favorite meals of ALL TIME! He even said he thought I should submit it to a contest…..Although I thought it was yummy, I certainly wouldn’t have gone that far! The cool part was, I had all the ingredients (except the meat) already at home!
- 1 lb ground beef (the leaner the better!)
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 small tomato
- 1/2 serrano pepper
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash cholula (or other hot sauce)
- ground pepper, to taste
- whole wheat buns
1. In a pan, cook the ground beef, onion, and bell pepper over medium heat. Once the beef browns, add the tomato, garlic, and serrano pepper (about 10 minutes).
2. Add 1 cup of water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, cholula, brown sugar, dijon mustard, and pepper. Stir well, then turn the heat to low and allow to sit until it thickens (about 40 minutes).
Voila! We served ours with steamed spinach and avocado. David taught me to put balsamic vinegar and pepper on both the spinach and avocado and it was SO delicious!