Polenta Italian Night
This was my first time cooking with polenta and it was really good! Polenta is a great grain alternative that is often paired with meat and sauce. We have started to make much bigger portions so that we can both have leftovers for lunch the following day.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (the leaner the better!)
- 1 package polenta, cut into 1/2 inch wide slices (we bought a pre-cooked one with basil and garlic – it was higher in sodium, but there was no sodium in any other item so it was ok!)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (no salt)
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 broccoli head, chopped
- 1/2 anaheim pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 T basil
- ground pepper, to taste
- a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce (we used cholula – chili garlic)
- small amount of butter or oil to cook polenta
Place all items in a slow cooker (EXCEPT the polenta) and cook on high for 2-3 hrs. Place butter or oil in pan and heat. Once the pan is hot, cook the polenta (it is already pre-cooked) so just cook it until it ever so slightly starts to get firmer (4 min on each side) and flip. Serve polenta with crockpot ingredients on top!