Slow Cooker Moroccan Beef Lentil Stew
Super hearty, yummy, and healthy! This had wonderful spice to it! We did, however, think it needed a bit more of a hot spice to pair with all of the wonderful spice flavorings so we added a hot sauce when we served it. Try adding a jalapeño to the crock pot and I bet it would be perfect (It was still great without the heat, but we agreed that it could make it even better)!!
- 1-2 lbs beef chunks (for stewing)
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cups carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth (from the brand Kitchen Basics so that it is super low sodium, low fat, etc)!
- 1 3/4 cups lentils
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (no salt added)!
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Place beef, onions, carrots, garlic, cumin, garam masala, cinnamon, lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste, pepper and broth into a slow cooker. We put ours on low (10 hr) cooking temp, but you could always do faster if you have less time before dinner
2. When you have about 20 minutes left prior to serving, stir in the spinach.
3. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and lemon juice.
Enjoy! It is delicious paired with a whole wheat bread for dipping!